1/06/2006

Factory Brook

Bancroft, Ma IV+
12-29-05
30 degree water temp, 36 degree air temp
6 miles
Toddo, Jim O, Carl, Mike(CT) and Scott

First Descent for me and it was a little scrappy but it was fluid enough to float a boat so all were happy. We met at the take-out just downstream on the West Branch of the Westfield from Bancroft river left road. You can't miss Factory Brook, you'll cross it in a short distance. We loaded everything into Jim and Mike's trucks and headed up to the put-in.

Something special about the first time you do a new run. Before we put-in, Jim Michaud and Paul (?) show up and are heading over to the West Branch but are waiting for our "quick" run to end. They want some company. Alden also showed up but has no boat, only his camera. He is working on his new book coming out later this year, hopefully.

Getting my skirt on is always tight in the cool weather and with my creek mitts it is a test of endurance. If you don't get it the first or second try, your too tired and need someone's help. I got it on just after I see Paul running my way to presumably lend a hand. Oh to have warm sunny weather all the time would be a dream. We head downstream and find ledge/ pool drop after drop with nice boogie water in between. Another classic, and why haven't I gotten on this before? It seems we always hit Walker Brook first and don't get this "far" north. The shame to have waited so long. A little more water would have been nice but it wouldn't take much to make some big beefy river wide holes in some of those nice, ledgey drops. We kept pushing downstream until we found ourselves in the middle of a small-micro rock garden with our boats a little high and dry. A little pulling with your hands and your right through and over a 3 foot drop and back in the flow.

We proceed around the right side of an island, I'm following Jim and Scott is behind me. I wait, and wait for Carl and Mike with nothing. So I start walking upstream and through the river and up to the road. Sure enough, they went left and we went right. And were only 500 yards from the take-out.

What a sweet run, and Carl lives on the Mtn right above the creek. I ask Carl where all of the "factories" are because there was no signs, just beautiful wilderness on the drive up. I'm expecting something like the put-in for the Dryway. Nope, just several stone foundations and remnants from days gone by when the little valley was using the brook to it's fullest economic potential. He said there was maybe seven different mills at one point. I suggest checking it out, it seems Jim O. is always ready to lead new people down anything he knows is flowing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home